Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Gratitude


Today was a beautiful day and I went on a bike ride on the back side of the Columbia Triathlon course.  I was hoping that Dan Alderman could go with me to get ready for the Columbia Tri in May, but he was scheduled to have his mediport removed today.  This is a medical device that is placed under the skin so that IV medications such as chemotherapy can be given more safely.  So while I was riding, a recurrent thought came to me.  People often ask me why I get up even earlier on my days off to go to cycle class, or run, or swim  and my answer is because I can!  In a BIG WAY - BECAUSE I CAN - AND I'M VERY GRATEFUL!  I don't have to worry about a mediport or clinic appointments for blood work or chemo. I don't have to stay in the hospital for days or weeks at a time.  I get to leave the hospital at the end of the day. While I'm grateful for that, sometimes it's difficult...to leave when someone else cannot.  But I shake off the sadness and the worry for myself and my patients because we have things to do, and I'm blessed to be able to replenish myself and bring that good energy back to my patients until they are able to do that more easily for themselves.I think our patients would agree that all of our nurses and caregivers do that in their own way and we are all blessed to be on this journey together.

No comments:

Post a Comment