Friday, January 8, 2010

Facing Challenges: Fighting cancer and training for triathlons!


We are 20 weeks out from the Columbia Triathlon and that means official training has begun. Yeah! Dan Alderman, who is one of our patients at UMMC, will make his triathlon debut at Columbia! This is quite impressive since Dan is still receiving chemotherapy for the lymphoma he was diagnosed with in December, 2008. Last year, my sons, Ben and Ryan raced on our team in honor of Dan since all of them are lacrosse players. This year Ben and Ryan will be on our relay team and Dan will take on all three events of this Olympic distance triathlon! Dan and I cycled together last fall as I was getting ready for Ironman Arizona and I discovered very quickly that he is not going to back down from his goals regardless of the challenges that may arise. You see our training rides were sandwiched between his cycles of very aggressive chemotherapy and he started from ground zero as far as cycling endurance. On our first ride, he chose the route since I was in unfamiliar territory. I told him we should take it easy since one of the side effects of his chemotherapy is a significant loss in oxygen carrying red blood cells. That didn’t stop him from choosing a route with more than one significant climb that left both of sucking for air, but he refused to back down to the challenge of the climb! I know I’m going to be in trouble this spring when his red blood cell counts get back to normal and he resumes his lacrosse training at McDaniel College! We’ll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment